Saturday, June 16, 2012

Happy Father's Day!



Father's Day is always a bittersweet celebration at our house. I lost my Dad to a sudden stroke in 2004 just one month before my graduation from college. It was a huge blow to me because my Dad and I had not always gotten along... However we had just started to become close shortly before his death. We would talk on the phone with each other for hours about nothing really. Just silly stuff like t.v. shows, the weather, his baby calves, politics, my school and work. In fact, I talked to him on the phone the night before he died and he seemed to be so happy and in such great spirits. He told me about his doctor visit and how his heart test results had come back really great.


He told me after my niece was born that he was ready to be a grandpa again and wanted to know when I was going to have kids...


My Dad as a little boy
It really stinks that he never got to meet the girls because I know he would have been head over heels in love with them! He would have been such a great grandpa and my heart still hurts every time I think about the memories my girls will never get to have with my Dad...
My Dad
My Dad was passionate about things he believed in and often wrote letters to his congressmen and other officials. He believed in aliens, loved the history channel, and watching wrestling. He was an entrepreneur and was always getting my Mom and I caught up in the middle of his next project. I spent one horribly, hot summer as a teenager serving up waffle dogs to people out of a food truck at festivals and carnivals and another time I spent hours at the flea market helping my Dad sell purses and carved wooden animals!


My Dad was into the couponing and the sweepstakes craze way before it was ever posh and he was always waiting by the door for his million dollar check to show up. He would actually slick back his hair, get dressed up, and make me get dressed up too on the day that Publishers Clearing House was supposed to be surprising one lucky family with the big check. We never won big but he did win about forty boxes of cereal one time...


The year before my Dad's death we lost my husband's Dad to a long slow death from a disease that causes all of your vital organs to harden. He slowly wasted away enduring countless days of pain and misery. He was only 42 when he died...




He was one of the most charismatic men I have ever encountered. He could light up a room in two seconds flat and could turn anyone's frown into a smile. Everybody loved him and I know the girls would have been crazy about him! He was a hard worker and he loved fishing, hunting, and causing mischief!


A year after my Dad past away I lost my Grandpa R. He was eaten up with cancer inside and they didn't find it until it was too late for treatment. He lived only a few short weeks after they diagnosed him with the cancer...


My Grandpa R.




I have so many wonderful childhood memories tied up with my Grandpa R. He was always so fun and he and I were the best of buds! I loved when he would make me sausage and biscuit sandwiches for breakfast. He always kept extras in the freezer for anyone stopping by. He helped teach me to drive by letting me drive his car in loops around an old airport hanger and he taught me how to play tennis. He always smelled of onions because they were his favorite food!


After he retired from his state job he became a teacher and one year our school got out before his school did and my sister and I got to go to school with him for a week. I remember being like seven or so and thinking I was so cool because I was sitting in class with a bunch of 8th graders! 


In 2006, the week I was supposed to start my first real job as a First Grade teacher I lost my last Grandpa. He was my Dad's Dad and it really hurt because He and my Dad had always been so very close. In fact, my Grandma and Grandpa had always lived with us off and on and when I was a teenager they put in a house right next to ours and so I was only ever a quick walk down the driveway from them.


My Grandpa S.


My Grandpa S. was a man of many words and a great story teller. He had so many fascinating stories to tell to anyone who would listen and even a few stories for those who didn't want to listen! He had been to all fifty states and had run away from home at the age of 15 to join the circus! He was trained to take care of the horses and soon he had learned to ride bareback and could make a horse do just about any kind of trick such as counting and rolling over. Later on, he became one of the main acts in the circus and could spin three lassos at once, use a bull whip to cut a cigarette in half out of someone's mouth, and threw knifes at my Grandma! He was all cowboy and he had two great loves old Western movies and Wrestling! He was once asked to star in a Western film when he was young and he turned them down because he thought he wouldn't get paid!


My Grandma and Grandpa in their Western Gear
In later years, he was awarded a big recognition by the Chicago Zoo for being one of the first people to effectively raise Chimpanzees and Orangutans in captivity. The girls would have loved his stories...


Thankfully, we still have both of my husband's Grandpas and both of the girls adore their Papa Y! He is a real cowboy, smart as they come, runs miles every morning in his cowboy boots, and has such a powerful love of God that I have rarely witnessed in a human being. We have tons of great pictures of him but I won't post them since I did not ask permission.


I couldn't write about all these Fathers without mentioning my husband in there somewhere too! He is a great Dad and the girls are extremely blessed to have such a loving Father in their lives. He doesn't embarrass easily and would do just about anything for his girls.


Monkey in the Ergo with Daddy
With all that said... We are going to enjoy Father's Day by making a picnic lunch for my husband and the girls and I have worked hard the last few weeks creating a few fun homemade presents for him.


Here are a few pictures that we did as two of our projects... Enjoy and I hope you all have a wonderful Father's Day!







Wearing Daddy's boots

Wearing Daddy's Boots





4 comments:

  1. So many Fathers lost. It's so important to take time to reflect on them like you just did.

    Your girls are adorable! That ruffle romper is about the cutest thing I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lacey!! It is so nice to see you back here :)
    Firstly I have to say that those pics are adorable of the girls wearing their daddy's boots!! Secondly, I think you look just like your Grandpa S :)
    I loved this post, all of the wonderful stories, you put them together so well. You spoke of the lives of some very important men in your family and remembered them on this special day, thanks for sharing xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I am alive and plan to start back to blogging full force this next week :) Thanks for your sweet comments and yes I do look just like my Grandpa S.! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Comments Make Me Happy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...